Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

updated Beginning of Year FAVORITE ART PrOdUcTS (must haves)

I have had so many great e-mails and comments with great ideas I need to update this post

Here is a link to find the Kid Smart markers, http://www.teacherdirect.com/products/87144+DRI.htm

A few more things that i want to add are

black sharpies and black oil pastels. Need I say more? There is an option in the Sax catalog to buy only black oil pastels!

sharpie

There are several varieties of the safe-t-cut linoleum blocks. There was a stack of these in my cabinet when I got here(I am not sure which ones they are because I didn’t buy them) and the art teacher told me that I could cut them on the paper cutter and they are erasers. It is nothing but a huge eraser!! I have not had to buy erasers in the four years I have been at this school and one large block cut into erasers lasts me 6 months to a year depending on how many grow legs and walk out each month!! If you have some of this safety-cut linoleum you should try it! They make the BEST erasers and you can cut them REALLY big so that it doesn’t fit in their pockets!!

Also Canson Watercolor paper is awesome!


Okay I really hate making orders, but since this is my 8th year teaching, I have some favorites that are my standby first on the list, must haves. I thought I would share them with you.


These brushes are WONDERFUL! If you do not leave them in water (which is really bad for brushes because it loosens the glue and makes the bristles begin to fall out) and dry them flat not standing they are the greatest classroom brushes and the pack comes with these great smocks!


brushes


These are my faaaaaaaaaavorite oil pastels. They have a hexagonal shape which means that they won’t roll onto your floor as easily and get stepped on. The colors are brilliant and great for teaching value because there are at least two or three hues of every color (light blue, medium blue, dark blue, light green, medium green, and dark green, etc.) I LOOOVE them!


oil pastels oilpast


If you are an elementary art teacher these pencils are a MUST HAVE!! They are big and hardly ever have to be sharpened. They make nice big bold lines and since the lead is so large it keeps a point for DAYS!!!


pencil pencils2


When I came to my school the old art teacher had stock in the glitter paint and I thought I would never use it! It has become a regular thing now. Kids LOVE sparkle and bling. A little tiny dab of glitter paint adds a lot of WOW to ANY artwork, drawing, watercolor painting, or sculpture!!


glitter paint


These little liquid watercolors ROCK THE HOUSE! I will be getting LOTS this year. They are sooooooooo beautiful SUPER BOLD AND BRIGHT and cannot be matched by any other! I use them in my personal watercolor paintings now. They are amazing!


watercolors


If you are still spending your afternoons staying afterschool to wash plastic paint containers, do yourself a favor and get these. They are GREAT!!


cups


If you have to go with the box kind, Prang just makes pretty watercolos


prang


These Biggie Tempra cakes are soooooo good and save the time of pouring all those colors from bottles. Just hard to do projects with limited color pallets.


biggie cakes


These are hands down, the BEST markers in the world. They way they look when they dry looks almost like paint. They have a creamy solid smooth looking finish and of course the obvious 60b day cap off time!! Yes, they will stay good for 60 DAYS WITH NO CAP!!! Why would you buy anything else!



I hope you enjoyed this list. If you have any great awesome products to share, please e-mail me Natty241@hotmail.com I would love to hear about them and add them to my list!!

18 comments:

  1. I agree with everyone you listed here! I have never heard of or seen the Kids Smart Markers, going to buy a container today!!! Can't wait to try them out! Here is another of my favorite, it goes into the oil pastel category: Crayola Water Soluble Oil Pastels the kiddos love them: http://www.misterart.com/g909/Crayola-Water-Soluble-Oil-Pastels.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with the Crayola Oil Pastels and the Royal Big Kids Brushes. Hands down, THE BEST!!! And like Susan, I've never seen the KIds Smart Markers but will hunt for them. (Hey Susan, WHAT were you doing on the computer at 3:31AM!!!) A few years ago we had markers we loved but have disappeared off the market - Foohy Gel Markers - they lasted long, and the colors were so much richer and brighter than Crayola Gel markers. The kids loved them. My other favorite can't-live-withouts: black Sharpies, low temp hot glue, and construction paper crayons (though why isn't there a good red in them?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree!! Love the construction paper crayons, but wish they'd make a RED one! I also love construction paper colored pencils for the the older ones, they are AWESOME! Sax is the only brand I can find that makes the pencils.

      Delete
  3. Holy Cow! Kids Smart Markers! Love 'em. I bought a bucket of these years ago and have been looking for them ever since. Do you mind sharing where you buy them? Is it just me? I can't find the anywhere? Kids love 'em and they DO last forever.
    Thanks.
    barb
    (PS--I am obsessed with those big fat kindergarten pencils, too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I have a question. When using liquid watercolors, how do you give them to kids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the source for the markers? Do you have a link?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was curious how you give out the oil pastels - I have been using the classpack of craypas but it isn't very many colors. Do you keep them in the set and does each child get one or do they share?
    Artsy Teacher - I also use liquid water colors - you can buy empty plastic cup sets with lids - I usally add a little water too so they last longer. You have to replace the yellow a lot but just teach kids to clean the brush between colors! Find them here: http://www.kurtzbros.com/servlet/ViewItem?mdsecode=50618&view_type=search&page=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I'll have to try those water soluable pastels! Barbara- I too noticed the markers are no longer in the Sax, or Blick Catalogs. I put a link I found online to them. Artsy teacher,I put the watercolors in those little stan cups above and tishalou is right you have to really stress cleaning the brush for the yellow, it has to be replaced alot and runs out fast! tisha, I put two sets of the oil pastels on the table for five kids. I really try to stress to them not to borrow colors from another table and to put them back in the box when they aren't using them. I also do a floor check every ten minutes becase if they get stepped on it makes a huge mess and the custodians get mad about how it ruins their mops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, This is perfect timing I'm doing ordering now believe it or not~

    Money came late this year. Last year I ordered clay from SHEFFIELD POTTERY in CT and it was 13.50 a box (our school rate) of 50lb. It is the most beautiful clay with the best consistency. What a steal!!! If you buy clay check this place out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are the paper cups called that you listed beneath the liquid watercolors? Do you have a favorite site or source for these products? looking for the lowest price--can't find the bucket of markers but they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. help! i can't find the dri mark kidsmart markers anywhere! any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't found a source for those markers either. Anyone find out anywhere to buy them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have searched for those markers too! Where can we get them?? Are they US?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking everywhere online for those markers.....where are they sold?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your link for the Kids Smart Markers doesn't work

    ReplyDelete
  15. also wondering about those markers?? anyone find them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are no longer manufacturing them

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews