Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, June 13, 2011

Coral Reef

painting21

Ok I LOVE summer with my girls. These moments are magical! Today I asked June what she wanted to make and without hesitation in her three year old imagination she quickly responded…”Fish mommy…I want to make fish please”

So we google imaged “tropical coral reef”

She loved looking at all the fish and talking about all the different colors and designs.

painting18

She drew some fish and I held her little hand and helped draw some more. She had a list of everything she wanted: blowfish, star fish, catfish, flounder,speckled trout, shark, jelly fish, and SquidWard (my husband is a fisherman and she is obsessed with fish)

painting27

painting26

painting19

I cut them out and we counted them and sorted them a few times.

painting17

Then time to paint!!

painting15

painting14

painting16

Look at the water change colors mommy

painting11

painting20

I told her to paint yellow on her blue starfish and see what color it made

painting25

painting13

Wow GREEN!!”

painting12

painting9

We used all different things to paint a variety of lines,dots, and designs;

Forks

painting8

chopsticks

painting7

Q-tips

painting6

and Fingers of course!

painting2

The highlight of my day was when my almost three yr old turned to me and said, “This makes me happy,mommy

painting1

She finally added some buttons and sequins with Elmer’s glue

painting23

IMG_3249painting29

I used my hot glue gun to glue the pieces together. June picked out some shells for the bottom and we were thrilled with the finished coral reef!!

painting22

11 comments:

  1. How cool is that cardboard coral reef sculpture! I just love doing spur of the moment art projects with my daughter too. Enjoy a fun and creative summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, if that isn't just the cutest thing! I'd like to figure out a way to make it "do-able" with a class full of kids. But it would be a lot of tough cutting. Just SO cute...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary!It is nice that June is old enough to do art now! She used to just want to eat the paint.I would always just remind myself that toddlers learn through the five senses and taste was one of them! Phyl, I know what you mean! Most of my classes have 30 plus kids, Its hard to do 3d projects and store them for multiple class periods with so many. We have almost 700 enrollment,so we don't get to do as much sculpture as i'd like! I so covet your flying pigs and teddy bear chairs projects! I will have to try them with June this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH HOW SWEET!! I love this...and like Phyl..would love to figure out how to do it with my classes at school on a larger scale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! Maybe for a classroom you could try thinner cardboard like the kind from cereal boxes. Although I don't think you could ever recreate the special creation that came from the artist mother child collaboration here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this! You are incredible, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that? I love this! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so sweet! What a great narrative and project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie you are the coolest mom EVER! Sharing your love of art with your daughter is like watching a planted seed grow and flourish! What a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg thgank you for your sweet sweet comments! I must be crazy to do art all day and want to come home and do art with my girls! Pat, is is amazing watching June do art, and seeing her attention span for all things art at such a young age. It inspires me and her enthusiasm and childlike wonder is a reward beyond measure! Thanks for your kind words, blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious, what did you use for a base on this?

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews