Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Faux Fordite Jewelry






Fordite, also known as Detroit agate, is old automobile paint which has hardened sufficiently to be cut and polished.[1] It was formed from the buildup of layers ofenamel paint slag on tracks and skids on which cars were hand spray-painted (a now automated process), which have been baked numerous times.[2] In recent times the material has been recycled as eco-friendly jewelry.[3]

1. Begin with pieces of construction paper. Use a sponge of glue to glue 25-30 pieces of paper together
2.When that is dry you will sand the edges to reveal the layers! 

3.Then use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails nail polish to add some shine!!!

4.
You can use a jewelry clip that you just squeeze on the top to make it into a necklace! 
Have FUN!!






















These clips just pinch right on!!
















8 comments:

  1. Hello! my name is Alondra and I used to be in your class when I was in elementary at buffalo creek. Now I'm in sixth grade and one of the best artist in my grade well that's what people say :3 I remembered this website and wanted to check it out and the art is amazing! keep up the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to read about "fordite". I had several pieces as a child because my Dad worked at the Leed's Chevy plant. I loved that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous website, I run sensory/Messy play activities in a Children's Centre and was looking for inspiration. Wow what a lot of wonderful ideas for our children to learn from and enjoy!Art and craft for kid | Art kits for kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these pieces are awesome! I would wear them with pleasure, though for my daughters I still prefer children's gold earrings ( https://gold24.in/products/gold-children-earrings ).
    Thank you for sharing these amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the kids use the sander by themselves? How did that go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought. I would be picking up severed fingers from the floor all day

      Delete
    2. yes they can sand themselves. We took proper safety precautions and if you touch the sander it does not hurt. This has to be two students at a time supervised by an adult. long hair in ponytails and no lose clothing

      Delete
  6. I live vicariously through you. I teach at a Title I school with 30 to 45 kids in a class at one time. Sadly I cant even begin to consider doing most of the projects you do.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews