Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Drippy Monsters

2nd grade is learning about blending colors and the analogous colors on the color wheel. We used orange and yellow, and blue and green paint to create these drip monsters. Students used a straw to blow the paint to create the body, arms, and legs of their monster.

1 17

Then they used construction paper to make the face, and add details. I asked them to give their monsters personality. They were also told not to copy anyone, since they have a hard time with that sometimes. We still ended up with quite a few “artist” monsters!! I couldn’t say no to that!! Oh and of course I made sure that each student gave their monster an iris, pupil, and reflection of light in each eye!

4 3 7 9 5 2 10 15 6 8 14 11 16 13 12

18 comments:

  1. i love this drippy monsters!!!! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love that they are all so different and the added details are a riot! Love the little hairbows on one of the monsters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of paint/water ratio did you use? I've done this technique a few times, but I always end up with a lot of spit coming out of the straws in an effort to spread the paint... should I use fatter straws? I cut them pretty short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the compliments! I LOVED those hairbows too! They got very creative today with this! Megan- I just kind of eyeball the paint ratio. I used tempera and used quite a bit of water. I start with a few kids and if the paint seems to be moving well, I continue giving each student a squeeze from the pipet. If they seem to be having trouble, I add more water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT! :) GOTTA DO IT! My spring art show is going to be Out of this World Art...all alien/space theme. I think these could be alien monsters!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are SOOOO CUTE! can't wait to do these after the holidays :)
    www.ourartlately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. THese are so cute!! I did a lesson similar to this with straws and paint and it was a huge hit with great results. I am so stealing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, will have to try these out with the kids at preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just LOVE LOVE LOVE these! Am going to do this soon with my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this with kinder but we just smushed the paper together and then put the eyes on. It worked great. Thanks for the super cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this with my second graders with great results! I linked this page to my blog to give other examples of how this project has been set up.
    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How would you like to write an article about this for SchoolArts Magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to add your blog to my blog list! Would you mind adding mine to yours? It is http://www.schoolartsroom.com/
    Thanks!

    Nancy Walkup, Editor, SchoolArts Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! Thank you! for posting this lesson!! exactly what I needed for me 2nd grade students!!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews