Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hip Hop Kandinsky Murals!


This year I have been trying to teach the kids to draw BIG and understand some elements of art that will help their composition look more interesting.

For this project we talked about murals and their social, cultural, and historical significance and impact on society. image image image

We also talked about the artist, Wassily Kandinsky and looked at some of his paintings.

image

We talked about 8 important things: (I have a big poster with this list on my wall.)

1. Overlapping

2. Repeating Shapes (geometric and organic)

3.Shapes inside of shapes

4.line (follow the leader lines)

5. colors

6. Things that run off the edge of the paper

7. 3-D shapes

8. shapes and background areas that are filled in and some that are open

Then we watched this video clip on youtube and I would pause it to point out the things on our list..

There are LOTS more REALLY AWESOME videos on this facebook pagehttp://www.youtube.com/user/RinpaEshidan

Students made drawings using all of the things on the list….heres a few

muraldrawings

Then students voted with their table group on one artwork to make a mural with. They used parts of the other ones that they liked as well.

Then they started painting with black paint..I did a group one with the younger ones..m13 m12

m3 m9

This project allowed for a great lesson in communication. Kids had to talk to each other about which parts to paint, what color, and who did what. This was a challenge for some!

m6 m5 m11

The next class, students chose two colors to add to their murals. They could use different values (dark and light) of each color. They had to leave some parts white. These are third and fourth grade. Fifth grade has some beautiful ones in the works that I will post when they finish.

editart2 editart4 editart18

editart5

editart9

editart11

editart16

editart15

editart1

20 comments:

  1. Wow! These look GREAT! Love seeing them all displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the whole thing!!! The youtubes are great! I might be doing something like this this year yet. I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are FANTASTIC! I love the fact that they had to collaborate together. These pieces make a big impact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, these are just FABULOUS. I love the idea of beginning with the black line for the mural paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful! I love the black lines with the colorful paint. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally doing this..maybe not that big..but still totally doing this!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo...hepsi müthiş olmuış tebrik ederim...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the sweet compliments and feedback! If you want me to send you a lesson plan for any project just send me an e-mail natty241@hotmail.com You guys rock, I love reading all of your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading about your colorful mural art. I liked seeing them in the finished display also. Wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely outstanding! I did something similar with my year 5s last year. We did circular paintings. I really like how you have included many art elements to include in the activity. I will definitely do this with my students. Excellent job! Thank you for sharing. Anna:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hearts are wonderful!! All of it is as well. Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A BIG thanks to you for the great inspiration! Thanks for this project, my students had a great time making their art work. Please see my link for some additions to your wonderful idea!

    http://minimatisse.blogspot.com/2011/04/great-ideas-from-smart-class.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful! I will be teaching 5th and 6th grade this year after teaching high school for most of my career. Very excited to see such a developed unit idea complete with Art history connections - thanks for sharing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I love this! What a great lesson and wonderful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea! It might make a great first project of the year. Come to my blog to see how I do!

    http://www.thecrayonlab.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your Kandinsky art. I taught about Kandinsky for the first time this year in my gr. 1 class. My kids are now 'Krazy for Kandinsky'. We did a great project using his circles. I've posted pictures on my blog. Thanks for your amazing art! You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is very cool! I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea! Do you think it would work to have students do individual pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi; These are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I am going to try it with my 6s. I'll definitely post how it goes. Thank-you so much for the great idea and clear instructions. Would there be any reason why I wouldn't want to start the kids with colours and pencil lines, then paint the black in after?

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews