Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Butterfly Tree

edit2

Last week I took my girls to the Houston Butterfly Museum. They loved it and had butterflies flying all around them!

buterflyblowing

Here’s one of my daughter blowing on the “frutterfries”

edit8

And of course the magic of the whole experience got my creative wheels turning. I was totally inspired for our next mommy daughter project!

butterflymask

We got online and studied all different butterflies and chose which ones we wanted to draw

edit19

edit18

She drew some and I drew some and we had fun coloring them on shrinky dink plastic with paint pens

edit20

Baked them..

edit16

and magic! A handful of butterflies!!

edit15

edit14

We got some sticks from the backyard and picked most of the leaves off.

I tied them together with yarn at the bottom and hot glued it to a little Tupperware box.

edit17

edit12

The girls painted the “grass” at the bottom

edit11

edit10

I took some of the pictures from the museum and backed them with cardboard from a Lucky Charms box

edit9

We glued the old marker caps at the bottom to stick flowers in, in the Spring. My daughter loves gardens and wanted the tree to have a garden. We will put a little water in the caps for the flowers. We also glued tiny pink plastic flowers to the branches. We made a tiny chrysalis out of a pipe cleaner and a tiny caterpillar out of Skulpey.

edit4

edit8

We glued the butterflies to the flowers

edit7

edit6

edit1

edit3

edit5

It makes me so excited when she comes up with her own ideas for our projects like the garden. Tonight she told me that she needed a swing on the tree!

I thought it was the cutest idea and had the yarn and cardboard out in two seconds making a swing. She has been swinging her little photo and climbing the caterpillar all over the tree for the past two hours!

I’m sure we will be adding things to the tree for the next few weeks!

IMG_9373

7 comments:

  1. That is so fun! I love butterflies. Do you plant host plants to attract caterpillars? I always have lots of black swallowtail caterpillars and last year I finally had monarch caterpillars- over 20!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project! What a great way to use lots of materials and have the girls learn about coloring, tracing, gluing, painting, sculpture and more--all in one project! Great ideas! Mrs. P (www.createartwithme.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great ideas thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ultimate article. Thank you for writing a good article to read.
    AFC168

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews