Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chinese New Year Lion Dancers

Today has been a very fun day! I am so humbled to find out that I won “Teacher of The Year” for our School!!! What an honor!! I am very blessed to be in such an amazing school with such talented artists and incredible teachers! I LOVE MY JOB! I created this lesson for First Grade and Second Grade to Learn about the Chinese New Year and see some of the brilliant designs in the Lion Dancer costumes.

First we watched this Fabulous video

chinese lion dance from mounin on Vimeo.



CNY20

Then we did a Draw Along. I do not do this very often, but the younger kids get a real boost of self esteem after a draw along. Within the steps there are loose parameters to allow self expression and individuality. They all end up looking different in the end! They feel good about themselves, and learn a few new techniques along the way!

I do this first step for kindergarteners to get them started, but the others can do it themselves.

CNY1

CNY2

Pupil, iris, reflection of light ( momma circle, daddy circle and baby circle for the younger ones)

CNY4

I call that a roundy triangle that is not pointy

CNY5

Two “C’s” that start on the outside of the eyeball for the cheeks, then a “rainbow line” connecting them

CNY6

I tell them to draw “smiley lines” for the tongue and under the teeth

CNY7

a roundy triangle horn and some zig zag line beard fur

CNY8

a “wiggle waggaly” line above the roundy triangle

CNY10

CNY11

CNY12

When we finish the Lion, we made the fireworks with dots and “follow the leader” lines, and embellished with oil pastels

CNY13

We used liquid watercolors to paint

CNY14

CNY15

gold tempera for accents

CNY16

CNY18

Then did a watercolor resist for the sky

CNY19

CNY17

I started with 1st grade today and it was very successful! They enjoyed the lesson and could not wait to come back and finish!!

CNY23

CNY25

CNY22

CNY21

8 comments:

  1. First of all, this is AMAZING! Is it too late if I start tomorrow!? I adore it.

    What kind of watercolors are these? How come they look SO neon!?
    Also, is that oil pastel to draw, or crayon?

    Very impressed and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I will have to try these out the next time I teach about Chinese new year. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are dazzling! Liquid watercolours are so incredibly vivid. Thanks for sharing the detailed drawing steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The step by step directions were great. I can't wait to try this with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! Aly, I use the Sargent brand liquid watercolors and we used black oil pastels for the drawing. Chinese New Year started on Sunday, but I think it is ok to do the lesson anytime. We just started this week. Thank you all for the sweet compliments, and if you try it with your students I would love to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First Congrats, second great post, I had to pin this to my Art Project board. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much. These are beautiful. Do you mind if I use this with my first graders? I'll be sure to give you credit when I post the finished works of Art to my Artsonia page.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews