Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Drawing Steps for One Point Perspective







I have had several emails about how to do the One point perspective paintings from this post, http://www.elementaryartfun.blogspot.com/search/label/One%20Point%20Perspective
so I have written the steps for this drawing.
I would suggest, the bigger paper, the better.
 Before you begin, be sure to show students many images to get them excited and print a variety of photos to inspire creativity!
1. Begin with the horizon line in the middle (please excuse my very crooked lines!!! pencil did not photograph well, so I had to redraw some lines with my computer mouse)
edit9
2. Draw a dot in the middle (vanishing point) and make an “X” from corner to corner (or close enough) passing through the dot
edit5
3.draw the sidewalks first from the vanishing point
4. Draw the trees starting on the bottom on the “X” all the way to the vanishing point, descending towards the middle. Tell them to draw organic shaped trees, not round Que-tip lollypop trees! Make sure the trees are straight and parallel to the side of the paper. Watch students for this before they spend 20 minutes drawing 8 beautiful but very leaning trees and have to erase all of them!
edit6
5. This is the lingo I use to teach the buildings, We all say, “One, straight out, two diagonal down, three, straight down to the ground, four straight down again, and five, bring it in along the side!”
edit7
6. When I show them the windows we start with the side with the door facing the street.
The lines on the tops and bottoms of the windows ABOVE the horizon line are parallel to the top part of the “X”…….below that, when you PASS the Horizon line, the lines on the tops and bottoms of the windows are parallel to the BOTTOM part of the “X” which is now the sidewalk. The top of the door is also parallel to the sidewalk.
below: RED parallel to RED and BLUE parallel to BLUE
The windows on the OTHER side of the house are normal right angle squares or rectangles.
edit10
7. Now erase the “X” and the parts of the horizon line that overlap the trees and buildings
edit3
8. finish windows and add details. Some students made it into a river instead of a road. Now that the basic foundation is drawn, the possibilities for creativity are ENDLESS!!
Cars, trucks, planes, restaurants, people, bridges, parades, parks, pedestrians, lights, etc, etc

edit2
edit15
[edit5%255B4%255D.jpg]
edit10

17 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you SO much. Perspective is my weakness but I feel confident to try it again.
    Thanks, Natalie...you are the best!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project looks so great--I've been struggling to find a perspective project that would engage all my students (beyond doing block letters). What age range does it seem to work best with? I know my younger students would struggle, but 3rd-6th would probably be OK. What have you found?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! Thank you for posting this. It's such a great way to show students how to do 1pt perspective. I just did a lesson similar with my 5th graders but many struggled and it took longer than it should have. Next time I will be following your lead on it!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was SO helpful in teaching my 7 year olds perspective. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What age group did these paintings? I am fairly new and I don't want to overwhelm. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm digging this, I never thought about doing a perspective unit without using rulers! I am going to adapt this to a project I do with 4th graders every year, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want someone to teach me how to shade a one point perspective

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why aren't you introducing the ruler with the pencil to get students to make more crisp lines? You can introduce 360 degrees and add math to this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just taught my sixth graders how to draw 1 point perspective using this. They were skeptical at first but now they love it and we're now working on our own 'world' images. I'm not very talented in the art realm so this was great because I could teach them a harder concept in a very simple way!
    I'm going to follow your blog so I can stay on top of all 'tutorial' posts you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Good morning all! First-time poster here. I'd just like to say thanks to everyone here for providing wonderful great info and secondly I will tell that your sites theme is very well and attractive so I like it.
    Serigraph print

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it helped in my project, i was so nervous how to draw thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great post! My girls and I just did this lesson today :) Here's a link to how theirs turned out: http://twocowgirls.blogspot.com/2014/01/new-year-new-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews